So I am on vacation again, feeling inspired to finally share. But when I finally figured out the password, I realize that it has been over a year since I’ve written! I think about writing all the time, I have a lot of clever half written blogs. This just proves that thinking and doing are two very different activities.
So the title of this weeks post WAS going to be Watergate vs. Trumpgate. Now its “what the fuck have I been doing”.
Why Watergate vs. Trumpgate as the title? Because I love history, I love truth, I love a great story. So when people started comparing the current Trump Russian Influence covered up with Watergate, I wanted to understand more about what this meant. My research included:
- Historical: The Post, The Newspaperman, All The Presidents Men, and read Katharine Grahams autobiography.
- Current: I am forced to watch the news in real time. I am not happy about it, but I do it.
What I learned I can sum up quickly:
- One of the single biggest political breakthroughs/stories would have been missed altogether had The Washington Post and Ben Bradlee just let sleeping dogs lie.
- Both the company, Ben as the editor, and the storytellers fought hard to bring the story to the people… they even went up against the federal government and won. They were partners in bringing the truth forward…
- I believe that without this major event in our history, the USA would be much like other countries where governments control the news. So I do believe this is a BIG DEAL in our history.
The dedication of these journalists is admirable, but I will say that this kind of journalism and work could not have been done without the support of the business. What could regular employees due if they were also supported by the company they work for? IMHO I believe that a bad experience could easily be turned around if a Customer Support/Service person was empowered to do the right thing when I called the first time. Tell me you don’t think the same thing.
So why am I writing now? The movie Newspaperman, Ben Bradlee’s autobiography, has inspired me.
I love to write, I think about it everyday. But I don’t do it. I cannot believe its been a year. I literally have a clever saying or blog… but I don’t post it because I am unable to “perfect it”… Yes, I am busy with work, travel, family, exhaustion…. All just excuses that stop me from doing what I love.
O.k. So How do we get from Politics to Me? Great question!
I am inspired and I want to be consistent. So help me. From here on out, even if I cannot write a long blog, or I cannot sum up an experience with succinctness, I will still write. Because It is what I love to do – it is what helps me keep tabs on what I’m doing (my memory is really bad these days).. and it is a public record of my activities, adventures, thoughts, and ideas for my family.
Other Random Thoughts I feel compelled to share.
Now that I am back at it, here are a few deeper thoughts.
- I think about death all the time (If I haven’t explained why tell me, I’ll add a new blog entry) so making sure I get the most of life is important to me. And sharing a bit of adventure with my friends under an assumed name is also fun. I’m not going to be alive much longer, so I have to make the most of life. And making sure that I have it documented for my friends and family – well it gives them fodder for my funeral.
- BTW, I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread across the Mediterranean Sea… Which sounds great to me (I wished I had a recently deceased relative would have wished for the same thing, I would be the first to arrive and last to leave)… but he says to me “god damn it, why do I have to go to another country to spread your ashes.. that’s a lot of work”… yes. It is. But why? Because I want you to have an adventure on me. See a part of this world that is like no other…. maybe the travel bug will bite. I believe that once this happens, this world is a better place for everyone. Every person who travels will all have a greater appreciation and understanding of cultural differences, will become more understanding and empathetic of our fellow humans and their struggles (and delights), and maybe, just maybe, this world will become a more gentler, kinder place to be. That is my wish. So get on a goddam airplane (and bus and train to be fair) and spread my ashes in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Oh, and I am currently flying to Italy (from SLC) for my Amalfi Coast vacation. It is a 31 hour journey just by plane (NOT taking into consideration the time change… for all you number crunchers). I departed SLC at 11am MT, arrived Naples at 5pm. I still have a 2+ hour shuttle ride to the hotel. Is it worth it? Hell yes. And you will know why when you show up for my funeral. If you want to go prior to my death, check out Villa Scarpariello on Amalfi Coast.
- This one is going to be hard to believe, but really try hard to know this is the truth. yes I’m drinking… I am on the plane, yes, I’m seriously ON THE AIRPLANE now. I am sitting next to a couple who I have not spoken to, but they don’t smell and don’t seem to mind me, so that’s a thumbs up. Anyway, the drink cart came by before the meal. I ordered two glasses of wine.. I got the side eye from the couple (not from the flight attendant, he knew I knew what was up), which I expect from inexperienced travelers. So what does this mean for you? A) That there is a huge gap between when the first beverage cart comes out and the second beverage cart, B) flight attendants really dont care to keep the cart going when people are asleep (over night international flights). So the qustion to ask yoursself — ADVICE ALERT — How long can you/do you want – to wait for another beverage?
O.k. I have to go to bed now…
I am chock full of stories AND I’m on vacation so I will write more.
Mwah, Mwah, Mwah (kisses with the french sound)… yes there are 3 of them.