So, I’ve been busy with work this week (all goodness, its been a very successful week professionally), but in the back of my mind, relationship “stuff” has been swirling thru my head. This has largely to do with a couple of events:
- My Niece’s sperm donor (guy got my sister pregnant and took off, without even a good-bye) has reached out to her – on Facebook no less. She hasn’t seen/heard from him since she was 6 (so almost 15 years).
- The fact that I reconnected with my first San Francisco girlfriend after 8 or so years… its like we haven’t missed a beat. She’s the best, fun, most gorgeous friend ever!! Love Her!!
- Having a man drop off the roster…. and not being interested in adding another person to the roster.
I’ve been thinking about the relationships I most care about, the ones that are/have been the most honest, most rewarding, supportive.
- Of course, the first set of folks are my girlfriends. They have been with me thru thick and thin. Most I’ve been friends with before I met my Ex… stayed with me and supported me, no, propped me up and got me active and engaged during my divorce and recovery…. I wouldn’t know what I would do without these folks in my life. My friend C-Licious, who got me out for runs, let me cry and run without judgement… Who adopted me and let me go everywhere with her and her husband (and family, friends, etc..)… My other best friends, HOPR team, who, hung out with me in “the danger zone” (aka house on Kehoe), who never judged my crazy, reclusive tendendies… who were always up for taking me out and showing me a good time, even if that meant walking to Celia’s and letting me have too many margaritas. To all the other friends who wouldn’t let our relationship die with my marriage, and who I adore and cherish every moment with today (thank you ladies for that!!!).. I could write a book on how fan-tabulous all my lady-friends are.
- The second set would be my family – mostly my niece and my parents ( I’m not real close to my other sisters). These folks have been nothing but supportive, being my cheerleaders thru thick and thin. I remember when I told my parents about my divorce (I was apprehensive about it – they liked him)… I’ll never forget my dads first words – “lifes to short to be unhappy”. Not “are you sure you know what your doing (dumbass)”, “what about kids”, etc.. but, “we support you and your happiness 200%”. Makes me tear up just thinking about it. And my niece, who doesn’t forget about me ever, even though she is 20, married with 2 kids, and working full time. Always calls me, reaching out to me, keeping me updated with her and the kids’ goings-on. I love that.
- The last would be the last 2 guys I’ve dated. I know, I don’t like that Dear Paula Letter writer broke up with me via email, didn’t communicate with me about how he was feeling and just reacted to his thoughts and feelings with total withdrawl. I get that he was doing the best he could do, but the shutout hurt. Anyway, what I liked about the relationship was how easy and fun it was. I dont really know how honest he was as I didn’t have the time to really get to know him, but he had a great energy, and we had a great energy together. Who knows where it could have gone, but it got me thinking that people can connect in this crazy world. The other would be the man I saw on and off for almost 18 months before that… the first man I dated after my divorce. It was and still is the most honest, open, caring relationship that I’ve been in. We had a lot of stuff going on in our lives, but our time together was about spending quality time together. He definitely took care of me in a way I could appreciate.. and I did the same for him. We laughed all the time… there was a connection and energy that we shared that I’ve not had with anyone else. I miss him.
Because of these folks, Iam finding dating a lot less interesting now.. I’ve not met anyone I’ve really connected with … and I’m just not sure if its something you can go and find on a dating website.. I think it has to hit you upside the head at the most random and unexpected times. I’m pretty sure I’m NOT going to add a new guy to the roster, I think I’m just going to see what happens with the two on the roster right now. I dont know if I’ve just not spent enough time with these guys, or if there is just not something there… but none of them knock my socks off … and I don’t want to miss spending time with peeps from 1 and 2 above for just anyone.
Oh, and one more thing. Its so funny that this post is in list form. I have created at least a 1/2 dozen lists this week… I’m a list-maniac right now!!