As you know, I’ve been thinking about hooping since last year, when I found the perfect gift for a 6 year old (Original Post – Hooping Queen) . We had so much fun with her hula hoop… so I did it. I purchased myself an adult Hula Hoop and an instructional and workout video. They arrived last week, and I tried it last night – SO MUCH FUN!!! It just makes me smile ear to ear and laugh hysterically at myself… I feel so good doing it, even though I can see how bad I look in the mirror… it just doesn’t matter, its SO MUCH FUN!
I’m going to set up the garage this weekend to be a mini work-out studio… and get to hooping! My middle looks great thanks to my weight loss and my continued practice of Yoga and Pilates. I no longer look like a barrel, and now more like a svelte woman… and its only going to get better with the hula hoop.
I am SO EXCITED about my hula hoop – and cannot wait to get my Hoop groove on!! I don’t know when I’m going to be able to get to a tropical location to show off my hooping body, but I will be ready when it happens!!
I’m almost shaking with excitement… if it wasn’t already dark out, I’d go set the mini gym up tonight! 🙂 Instead I’m parusing hoop videos on YouTube – gotta love this one – Sexy Hula Hooping and this one – Hula Hooping with Mia. Wow. Sold. 😉
Happy New Year everyone!! Now is the time to make commitements to yourself, steer your life in the direction you want it to go. I have many New Years resolutions this year….. some are follow-ups from last year, some are new ones. I absolutely love the new year… new beginnings are so fun and refreshing.
So, 2011, what do I want to focus on? What do I want to accomplish? Here’s the list.
- Financial Life. I need to get my financial house in order. Between purchasing a new house and gaining new employment, I really need to get this done. The goals are:
- Debt. Remodeling the new house cost a lot more than I had agreed up and expected. It cost more money than I had. I now owe a bunch of money to someone, and I have no way of repaying this debt right now. I need to come up with a repayment plan and get this debt/loan paid off. Really bothers me to owe someone money and is the main reason why this is goal # 1 for 2011.
- Build a Trust/Will (rollover from 2010). I do not have a ton of money, but I will be worth something when I die, so I want to make sure that my money goes to where I want it to go. I do know that none of my accounts list the EX as a beneficiary, but now I want to be specific on where I want it to go…. to educating my nieces and nephews, animal rights organizations, etc.. I want to put all the proceeds from my 401(k), life insurance policies, work AD&D into the trust, then name the beneficiaries in one place. My friends have done this, I have the name of a good attorney, I just need to do it.
- Not Buying It. Love this one, did well in2010, and I’m going to continue it. I just do not need anything… I’m going to make sure that if I spend money, that its important and I need it. And given that I have debt to pay off, this is a solid resolution to have.
- Weight Loss. So, I lost 5 lbs and a dress size last year. My body shape has absolutely changed.. clothes that used to fit do not fit or fit strangely. I do feel good about this, but I don’t feel as good as I thought I would. I want feel better about myself, so there is more work to be done. My goal is to lose 5 more pounds and another dress size. It’s important that I shape up and gain muscle, lose fat. I have plenty to work on: I’d like to continue to focus on my stomach, my backside could use a reduction and some shaping, and my arms could use some toning. So I’m going to do the same thing I did last year: watch what I put in my mouth and try to exercise/do something every day. I love yoga and pilates, I’ve got a few good DVD’s that I can take on the road with me. Its all about staying healthy and getting to a healthier state.
- Professional Life. I had a bad year professionally in 2010. The company I joined in 2010 was not a good fit for me for many reasons. I worked very hard and did my best and it still just didn’t work out. I’m happy that I found a new job so quickly and the new company I’m with feels like a much better fit. What I want to do this year is grow – it seems like its been forever since I’ve learned something new. My new company focuses on education and enabling their sales team for success, and I’m really looking forward to being a part of it. A couple of things I’d like to focus on professionally this year:
- Presentation Skills. I’ve always wanted to be a sleek and smooth presenter. Most often I feel like I fumble thru a presentation. I want get to the point where I feel comfortable, where I know that I’m delivering a bang-up presentation. This will take a bit of reading and practice…I have a few books I’m going to read and I’m going to practice practice practice.
- Professional Style. Since I’ve not been “out” at customer sites in a while, I feel out of touch with my business clothing. I want to slim down my wardrobe and keep only the pieces that I feel most comfortable in. I have a few great suits which I love and fit me well, but its the upscale business casual clothes that I need. My first goal will be to weed out the pieces that don’t fit well, then identify the pieces that I need… I want to be selective and make sure that its a good piece that will last a long time. Yes, I’m aware that I have goals about not spending money, I think that its only a few pieces and good, solid pieces never go out of style and its worth the investment.
- Personal Life. There are a couple of things I want/need to do this year.
- I want to have love in my life again. I would like to find a partner is that available and ready for a healthy, happy relationship. Relationships are not easy, they do take work, but I think with good communication, patience, trust, and understanding, you CAN actually have one that is drama free and fun. I’m going to leave myself open for love and see what happens.
- Reconnect with a good friend. There is one friend that I’ve known for many many years that I just stopped communicating with. It wasn’t because anything happened, its largly because I was working so hard and trying to succeed at work. Then when time passed I didn’t want to own up to all the time passing… .so I didn’t reach out. But now, I think about it all the time, wondering what happened to this friend of mine. She was an exceptional person and friend to me, and I just need to own up to being lazy and reach out. I need to apologize and make an effort to bring the friendship back into my life.
- Alcohol Intake. I cut back significantly on my drinking in 2010 and I’m going to do the same thing in 2011. I credit this to my job that didn’t work out and not traveling. I worked very hard in 2010, in a job I didn’t like, for a company that was “different”… YOu would think this would cause me to drink more, but I was working so much that I didn’t have time for drinks. In previous jobs, I traveled quite a bit, and did a lot of drinking when I was on the road (airports, airplanes, restaurants, hotel bars, etc)). This year, I will not be drinking on airplanes. It’s Jan. 14th, I’ve taken 3 flights (2 were 6+hours), and I have not had a drink…. Its taken great strength to NOT order a couple of drinks on the airplane so far, but I’ve done it. I think it will get easier and easier as the year progresses. A couple of exceptions to this:
- Vacation. If I’m on my way to or from a vacation, long weekend, etc..
- Upgrade. If I’m ever upgraded to business or first class where the drinks are free.. well, its free and I’m going to partake.
- Free. If I am offered a cocktail at no cost by a flight attendant or fellow passenger I’m taking them up on it.
I’m going to be on the East Coast a lot this year – and I want to arrive in each location without a hangover… Its hard enough to deal with the 3 hour time difference… if I need help sleeping, I’ll take a pill.
That’s it. I know, a lot to focus on, but I’m ready… I feel solid this year, I’m in a good place, and now, its time to excelerate forward. I’m looking forward to all the oportunities that present themself in 2011!
I spent the weekend with family. It was a busy but rewarding weekend.
The fabulous A’s came out, my niece and her daughter, and we drove a car to UT, the one she will use to get herself to and from school. Its a great beauty – an older truck that has been very well taken care of (thank you Dancing Queen) but has plenty of life left in her. Her name – Ethel. We loved Ethel, she is in the prime of her life. I’ll post pictures of Ethel in a few days.
We started our drive on Saturday morning, stopped off in Winemucca, NV (where “there is always something going on” according to the 100’s of billboards up to the Hills Have Eyes town) for a bite to eat, slept in Elko, NV, and finished our trip in Lehi, UT, which is where I’m now. My flight from SLC to CA was cancelled this evening, I’m heading home to the cats tomorrow.
I would normally be annoyed by the airlines not being able to get their act together, but not this time. I feel relieved as now I am able to spend time with family. My mom is taking caree of her a few of her grandkids – my youngest sisters kids. One of them is Bubba, a nephew that is near and dear to my heart. I fell in love with this little guy the minute I met him – named him Bubba myself. Not because he looked like a fat man who played a part in Deliverance, but because he had the warmest spirit and biggest smile of any little boy I knew. My heart melted, and Bubba has had a special place in my heart since.
Anyway, due to a family emergency, the boys are are here at Grandma’s. And tonight, I’m the lucky one – I get to sleep with one of my favorite men of all time – Bubba. I’m headed to bed soon, he is fast asleep… so adorable! I hear he snores and likes to kick…. who doesn’t?!??!
All in all, this is an experience I will remember. Glad I did it. Puts a smile on my face just thinking about it. And who doesn’t like a lady who smiles?
I’m a bit slow to update my blog in general, but I’m even more slow now because I’m on vacation! I’m in St. George Utah, a gorgeous, hidden gem of a place. It’s still in Utah, so it is hard to get a cocktail around here, but its just so incredible here nature wise. Take a look at the red rock views below… and the weather is great – hot and dry.
I’m working on my bikini-clad beach body tan, and 4 days into it, I still DO NOT have tan lines. I’ve been careful not to burn myself by using SPF 8, but lordy, I would think my skin would be a bit more bronze given the amount of time of been out in the sun (about 8-10 hours). Tomorrow, Friday is my last day to get some sun, so I may go without any sunscreen …. we shall see. Wish me luck – I’d like to go home witih dark skin and some deep tan lines.
Lastly, this place brings back a lot of memories, good and not so good. I will share a few of these stories with you at a later date – when I have time and am ready to reminisce about a few of the hardest years of my life.
Last week was just absolutely crazy. There was something going on every single day/evening.. I usually keep to myself, would be considered a shut-in if I didn’t have to go to work everyday….
My dearest friend from Paris was in town with her boyfriend and his daughters. I had so much fun with them, but boy my friend runs a tight ship. She had the family doing something every day – it reminded me of my family trips way back when… a story for another time. They family left on Wednesday, heading for Southern California (where you can actually get in the water without a wetsuit) and good ol’ Las Vegas (you have to see it at least once!).
In addition, Zoey cut her foot really badly and had to go to the hopital on Monday. I woke up on Monday with blood all over the bed, and it wasn’t from me. Zoey was curled up next to my head, which is unusual… when I got out of bed I saw all the blood. I checked her out, and sure enough, she had a deep gash/cut on the back of her bony little foot. She was so sad, the vet said it was very painful and they had to put her down, give her some anesthesia to fix her up. She was a bit out of it last week, but she is back to her funny furry self now.
We also had a ‘coon problem ’round these parts. A mother and baby pair of raccoons settled themselves into my attic – which would be fine with me if they weren’t so mean and hated cats so much. The bad news is the mom raccoon was trapped and euthenized, the good news is the baby raccoon is being domesticated by a friend of the trapper. I’ve just received an update, the baby is being hand fed and is eating everything that he/she is given. Next step is to ‘get cuddly’ with the raccoon… I can’t wait to get another progress report.