First, Dad, Mom, I love you dearly. This experience may be offensive to you, so if you proceed to read, do so with caution and remember to be strong – I love you!
So, tonight, I went on a date with a nice guy – he was a happy individual, has great relationships with his sons, has an intersting and well paid profession… but when he came to my door to pick me up for our date – it was over. He looks EXACTLY like my father. We spent the first 15 minutes at my house, gave him the tour, talking about where we wanted to go… he was very nice. But in my head, all I could think was that I was about to go on a date with my FATHER! Poor chap, after one look it was over – I do not want to date him OR think about having sex with him. Ewwwhhhh.
Now, the date wasn’t planned. I’ve been very busy and focused on work for the last couple of weeks, but I received a call, out of the blue, from this gent asking me to dinner. I needed a break and I enjoyed talking with him, so why not? As a matter of fact, he actually flew in a day early so that he could have dinner with me… I was definitely impressed with his level of interest.
WE went out, had a couple of drinks at a local watering hole, then had a really nice dinner at a local restaurant. Everything about our surroundings was perfect, and we actually had good conversation. However, there are thoughts that ran thru my head, that no matter how great this guy was, the date was “over”.. I don’t even think I can be “just friends”… I have a dad, and I can’t get past that “dating my dad” thing.. O.k.. so the things that I wanted to write down in my little red pad (while he was talking!!!) include:
- He sweats profusely. At first I thought he was just nervious or thrilled to be with such a fun, good looking, and intelligent person, but it just never stopped. He was wiping his forhead and neck all night long. It would have been better if he turned to me and told me about a gland problem he was afflicted with… but he did not.. I have no idea why he was sweating for hours straight.. maybe he is detoxing from something?? No idea.
- Nervous habits. He was so fidgety… always moving around.. back and forth, hand movements, facial expressions, bulging eyes…. Maybe its the drugs? Or he is just really really expressive…
- Loves VW’s. Collects them.. loves them. A VW Horder if you has me (he has more than one). My dad, too loves VW’s. Just ask me and/or my mom about my fathers passion for anything VW.
- Bad Knee. Nothing wrong with it, it is what it is. But my dad also has a bum knee. Lots of stories about the knee, what happened, recovery, and living with an aching joint. Again, nothing wrong with it, it just reminds me of dad… It also means he doesn’t exercise and thats a deal breaker – running is my therapy and I love a man with a nice firm body…
- Face. The man looks exactly like my dad!!! Same receding headline, scar near his laugh line, grey hair…..
So, I need to say again, I love my dad, he is awesome. Love talking with him, catching up with him, and taking care of him (as much as he will let me)….. but I dont want to date my dad, and I certinaly do not want to have sex with my dad!
Given all of these things, there is just absolutely no way we can have a relationship. Friendship maybe, “Friends with Benefits” – no way. Poor guy, didn’t know/doesn’t know yet he’s out….. or why. How do you tell someone this? I would love to hear what you would recommend I say…. I know he is going to call me again. Grrrrr.